From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:57:30 -0700

Here was my original question.

"I have a question.  My niece lives in the Dallas area (McKinney) and she is
having a lot of "celiac type" symptoms (about 7 or 8 of them).  Her gastro
is telling her he thinks it's IBS and wants to put her on a long trial
period of medication.  She is looking for a second opinion.  (Celiac does
run in our family)

Below is a list of gastroenterologists that I got from a celiac web -site
for Dallas.  Can anyone recommend one over the other or even have a
different one than these that they can recommend?

Lyman Bilhartz, M.D. - Gastroenterologist Dallas, TX, Dr. Kenneth Fine
Dallas, TX 75228, William Santangelo, M.D. Dallas, TX 75246, John Secor,
M.D. Dallas, TX

Thank you so much, Sidona

Below are the responses.  I had 1 recommendation for Secor, 1 for Fine, 2
for Santangego, 1 for Dr. Gottesman and 1 for Dr. Brown.  Thank you to
everyone who replied.  It will be very helpful.  Sidona

1)HI, My thought would be to find a doctor through a safe recommendation
rather than from a web site.  I belong to North Texas Gluten Intolerance
Group which meets once a month in the mid cities area for anyone in the
metroplex.  There are also support groups in Dallas to help your friend.
Our website is www.northtexasgig.com.  The national group has a web site
too:  www.gluten.net.  Let the president of the North Texas group, Betty
Barfield, or someone in the national office guide you in finding a good
doctor.  Medication is not the answer.  Rather than a second opinion, she
needs a different doctor who knows about celiac.

2)  Of the doctors you listed either Secor or Santangego.

3)       I see Dr. Andrew Gottesman - Greenville and Walnut Hill in Dallas.
His phone number is 214-360-9877.  I forgot to mention that Dr. Gottesman no
longer accepts insurance or Medicare - the second dr. I see who has done
that.

4)      I recommend Dr. Santangelo although Dr. Fine is excellent as well.
My GI is Dr. Santangelo who diagnosed me about 10 years ago.  He is a
perfectionist so I trust him very much and he let me ask over 65 questions
in my visit with him one time without rushing me or anything!  He's great!
He used to be at Baylor Hospital in Dallas and now I think he's at Southwest
something or other.  I don't know for sure because we now live in Michigan.
And he's better than anyone up here by far!

I know Dr. Fine is very knowledgeable about Celiac, speaks at our
conferences, has developed his own method of genetic testing, etc.

5)  We see Dr. Brown in Plano.  If you need his information let me know.