From:
"g.Computer9f" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 14:08:59 -0400
It's true that you can use any OEM CD of WinXP as long as you have the OEM license codes for that computer.  The only caveat is that a "clean" XP install disk, will not have the motherboard drivers for the HP.

I had trouble getting these drivers, but that was years ago, maybe HP is more forthcoming these days.  I would try to get them FIRST, and have them in hand before you begin.  Once you start the re-install, I'm not sure you can even get back to what you had before, certainly not if you reformat and don't have the original HP CD.  You could end up in never-never land with no OS at all.  The safest thing to do is get your hands on the motherboard drivers and put them on a CD (preferably a bootable CD).  This may take some research.

A good place to start....  (I think everyone should print and keep a hard copy of this info about their PCs)

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/SIW/1097934999/1
FREE  "SIW is a Read-Only / Display-Only System Information tool that gathers detailed information about your system properties and settings. It is a utility that includes detailed specs for Motherboard, BIOS, CPU, Devices, Memory, Video, Drivers, Ports, Printers. It displays information about Operating System, Installed Programs, Processes, Services, Serial Numbers, Users, Open Files, System uptime, Users, Network, Network Shares, and more, as well as real-time monitors for CPU, Memory, Page File usage and network traffic. It also displays currently active network connections, Passwords hidden behind asterisks, installed codecs, and more."

Good luck,
AnnaSummers