Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 12:26:22 +0000

Helping You Watch Your Gluten-Free Wallet

If you are looking for ways to cut costs on the gluten-free diet, Gluten-Free Living can help.

Our new issue  includes a whole package of stories on how to keep your gluten-free spending down.

We have tips on how to get the most for your money when you buy specialty gluten-free foods. Included is a recipe for a low-cost, all-purpose baking mix. Plus we'll tell you about foods that are naturally gluten free and inexpensive.

Chef Clare O'Brien of the Culinary Institute of America, cookbook author Connie Sarros and GFL's own Kendall Egan, a gluten-free mom, stepped up to our challenge to come up with a full day's menu for four for less than $25. You'll see how creative and committed they were in meeting the challenge. You'll also get some great budget-conscious suggestions to use in your own kitchen. You can also try the easy and economical recipes we've included.

Dietitian Pam Cureton will help you find healthy food for your gluten-free child. Good nutrition, kids and the gluten-free diet can go together. Pam is a clinical and research dietitian at the Center for Celiac Research at the University of Maryland.

We also have news about the pill being developed to treat celiac disease. If you have been wondering whether the pill will replace the gluten-free diet, you'll find out in out interview with Dr. Alessio Fasano, one of the researchers working on it.

Anne Lee, former dietitian at the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University, makes her debut as our new dietetic columnist. First up, she answers readers' questions about oats and daily vitamins for those who follow the gluten-free diet. We're very excited that Anne's column will appear regularly in the magazine.

And there is much more. You'll find reviews of two new gluten-free cookbooks, on-going coverage of gluten-free labeling developments, answers to your questions about ingredients and a run down of new gluten-free products.