From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:15:06 -0500
Hi.

Ok, I'll throw my two cents worth in, as well.

I find that much of the time, the problem with amps is improperly adjusted
equipment rather than an inherent problem with amplifiers.  If the amp is
being driven with a clean rig, and it is running into a good load with
proper grounding, there is nothing inherently wrong with running high power.

That being said, in marginal conditions, it only really helps if both
parties are running high power because, as they say, "you can't work 'em if
you can't hear 'em."

Unfortunately, what happens much of the time is that neighbors are running
equipment that is susceptible to front end overload from any nearby strong
signal, and it doesn't really matter whether it is clean or not--it just
has to be strong.

The only stone that I have to throw, with regard to amps is at some of the
junk that shows up for 2 meters in the way of solid state all mode
amplifiers.  I had a RF Concepts amplifier that was supposed to take 30
watts in and spit out 170 watts.  Unfortunately, the thing was a good bit
less than linear, and spit garbage all over the band.  I had a reputable
ham from about 1.5 miles away tell me that I was nearly 200 khz wide with
that stinking thing!  My experience is that with the exception of some of
the illegal CB linears, most HF amplifiers are built a lot better than that.

73, de Lou K2LKK

P.S.  I no longer have that 2 meter amp.