VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dorene Cornwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2009 13:59:22 -0400
Yeah.

First off, when items about really cool-sounding ideas hit the list, I
so appreciate a little more detail about how to find the original so
that when I repost to increase the buzz and maybe help attract research
$$$ there is a trackable source I do not have to go look up.

I think the interesting thing about this proposal is that it would be
an application of technology being worked on for other reasons as well.
In the best case, this can help leverage the R&D investment needed to
get the thing off the ground.

Speaking only for myself, I would much prefer a multi-line braille
device because I think that would make it easier to read faster,
something that HAS to happen for me to want to make a huge investment.
I also have interacted with enough different discussions of maps for
the blind that a device which could render tactile content other than
braille would make me really, really happy. I am price-conscious, and I
want a device small enough to be portable but big enough to support
meaningful tactile content. I know this involves a few different areas
of R&D and I really prefer to make use of technoloty tools already on
the shelf.

So I am intrigued, but not signing up for the advance purchase plan.

Dorene Cornwell
Seattle WA