VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dorene Cornwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:55:20 -0400
Hi Harry

GOOD FOR YOU for filing a complaint.

You did a great job of articulating what you want, but maybe it would
be good to:

--ask other people what we want too

--start a process where Motorola and the carriers that use their phones
interact regularly about accessibility features with a range of users.

Speaking only for myself,

--I know people who would need voice activation for example because
they do not have the dexterity to use hand controls. They might also
need volume controls to hear.

--I used to have this bitchin Motorola alpha pager. It had a much nicer
more tactile keyboard than the Motorola smartphones I have seen. It
also did a much better job than the current (other vendor) phone I have
about making some though not all of the menus enlargeable for more
interaction. I would never mind menus that come in a 2-4 size options.
(My vision has changed enough that the old pager screen would not work
anymore. Sigh)

--One thing I REALLY love about my current phone is that the numbers
light up. If you're totally blind, you don't care about this much but I
think it is way cool.

--I really want all these features built into my phone for the same
price as everyone else pays for crap I cannot use. I have no use for
paying full price for a bunch of features I cannot use and then having
to pay $300 more for software so I can use basic functions o
ther people
take for granted. Another way of saying this: not having phones that
are accessible impacts everyone who needs the convenience of reaching
me by cellphone not just the blind user.

I understand the point about new features coming out all the time and
different choices because of the new netbooks, but I still think there
is also a place for ongoing conversations.

So definitely keep us posted and if you need more voices....

DoreneC
Seattle WA