VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ana Garza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ana Garza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:46:46 -0700
Harry,

Good for you for filing the complaint. I often think about doing such
things, but rarely go through with them because the process feels so
exhausting.

Like you, I want a full-blown screen reader on my phone; like Doreen, I
don't think I should have to pay extra for it; and  I don't think I should
have to buy any particular phone (usually not cheap) or any particular plan
with features and minutes I may not need in order to get it.

For years, I've been paying about a hundred and fifty dollars for phones
whose accessibility features allow me to do only slightly more than I can do
on the five-dollar drugstore land phone I have at home. I have a camera,
unlimited text messaging, and a few other bells and whistles that I'm paying
for, but not able to use, even when (as in the case of text messaging) I
really need them for both home and work.

I would like for cell phone manufacturers and cell phone providers to
contract with existing screen reader developers so that the software is
installed on the phones at user's request without user's having to pay
extra. User's can pay for upgrades or extra options on the screen readers,
but the latest fully functional reader must be preinstalled at the time of
delivery.

Good luck to you tomorrow.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at