From:
mike stanz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:51:51 -0400
i had similar problem w/ pent 4. i managed to remove heat sink and processor
together after unscewing fan and releasing the lever for processor. after
removed i separated the two with difficulty. found a pc. of tinfoil like
that was blackened from being burnt that acted like glue. i removed it and
replaced everything w/o it and pc seems to be fine. on another note you
should go liquid cool if your heating problem is as severe as you claim.
hope to have been of help. p.s. why have you asked me of your pc problem?
good luck- michael

On 9/23/08, John Freibergs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an Intel D865GBF motherboard with a Prescott 2.8G CPU and anything
> that requires more than minimal processor use causes the temp to jump up
> into the low to mid 70 degree celsius range.  I know Prescotts run hot but
> if I boot, it overheats, if I run a virus or adware scan, it overheats, and
> if I try to play non-video-intensive games it overheats.  The box is clean
> and I have 8 fans set up to either blow in or out.  The CPU fan works.  But
> it was part of the Intel package and instead of paste came with a stick on
> pad for thermal conduction.  I've tried to remove it, but when I release the
> levers, it doesn't move and I can see the board flexing beneath it so I'm
> scared of doing damage.
> 1)  Is there a trick to getting the heatsink assembly off of the CPU?
> 2)  Is overheating strictly an issue with the CPU or could there be
> something
> on the motherboard affecting things?
> 3)  I'd build a new machine, but right now I'm unemployed so that's out.  I
> can replace the CPU with a new one from Newegg if that's the problem.  But
> I'd need to be able to remove the heatsink first.  Or I can get a OEM in the
> box mobo off eBay and add in a new CPU.  But my OS is an OEM XP SP2 copy and
> I'm wondering if I replace the mobo and CPU if Microsoft would accept that
> the next time I reinstalled my OS.
>
> Any help you folks can provide would really be appreciated.
>
> John
>
>                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
>                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
>                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>