Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:46:56 -0500
Original Message --
From: Anne Smith
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:36 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] re PC133 Ram

I have been searching for some PC133 RAM to upgrade my computers.
I have found there seem to be 2 varieties. ECC and NON ECC.
In my computer I have NON ECC. Can I install ECC ram??
 From what I can work out, it seems ECC only works in servers, but I
don't understand the difference.
Any insight will be MOST welcome.

Thank you
Anne

$$$

Hello Anne,

I can think of no particualry good reason to install ECC PC133 RAM in your computer but, if that's what you wish to do, you need to first ascertain whether or not your machine's BIOS and motherboard support ECC RAM. That said, NON ECC PC133 RAM is usally less expensive and has better timings (read: is faster) than ECC RAM.

FWIW, I have a quite a few sticks of new or nearly new certified Crucial NON ECC 2-2-2 PC133 RAM on hand that I purchased when it was about expensive as 24-carat gold (my how times have changed). In any case, it's not doing me any good sitting on my parts shelf so if you're interested contact me off list.

Kind Regards,
Jeffrey Ottie

eom

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,