From:
Russ Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:57:12 -0600
I have acquired from someone a "crashed" computer that I was able to resurrect. The computer is running an OEM copy of XP and has the license code sticker on it. I'd like to ensure all the previous owner's files are unrecoverable.  If I scrub the drive, I will lose the Win XP license.  I don't think I can install from another copy of XP because the license # is synched to the Win XP CD and I don't have the original XP CD. As I remember from a previous discussion with Microsoft, they just say to use the original CD to reinstall XP. I do have other copies of XP, but I don't like to waste the perfectly good license for this machine.
Is there any tool that will overwrite the free space on the hard drive to make sure the old files are unrecoverable? That should keep the current OS and applications intact.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml