From:
Walt Sebastian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:28:41 -0500
Hi Guys,
As a novice, I had two antennas, a four band vertical and a 80 meter
inverted vee.  The novice band was from 3700 to 3750.  I found that the
resonant frequency of the antenna was 3930.  the SWR was 6 to 1 on the
novice band.  Well, to lower the SWR of the antenna, I had to add on to each
end.  I added about three feet on each end.  I then checked the SWR and it
showed 2.2 to 1.  After several trips out and cutting off each end of the
antenna, the results were exactly the same.  That was when I decided to
check to antenna switch an realized it was on the vertical.  I then switched
to the inverted vee and it showed 1.2 to 1.  I wasn't sure if I should cut
more or not so, I lift it alone and made hundreds of contacts on it.

Walt
WA4QXT
New London CT