C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Virginia Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 11:26:12 -0600
I homeschooled my oldest (now studying nursing in college) for 2nd, 4th, and parts of 8th grade for social reasons. She was picking up every bad habit in the book from her classmates (socialization isn't always a good thing).

I homeschooled my absolutely brilliant second kid for 4th grade (the district had cancelled all gifted programs due to lack of funds -- and none of the 4th grade teachers was willing to let her be ahead of the class in math). I also homeschooled her for math only in 8th because her teacher was an unreasonable *&@#! and the school didn't want to switch teachers.

I homeschooled my third kid (son) for first grade because I was doing the other two (8th and 4th) and was overly optimistic. Never again. He and I are too much alike.

I have not homeschooled Daniel, my youngest, who has so many needs because I have no training in special ed, etc., etc., and because frankly, I am a better mom when I am not with my kids constantly.

If Mary has medical needs, doesn't Idaho have a home learning option? My friend has a son with TBI, and when he was scheduled for spinal surgery, he was also lined up for a home learning program that would keep his credits current.

Also, Idaho has the Idaho Virtual Academy. That program is a combination of homeschooling and public schooling. They send you the books, computer, supplies, and you just commit to logging so many hours per week, then go take the IBI and ISAT tests at a satellite location once or twice a year.

Homeschooling texts/supplies can be expensive. I spent a ton on the eighth grade science supplies! :)    So the Idaho Virtual Academy route is a real $ saver. However, my kids are kinesthetic and audio learners, mainly, and the IVA (and A Beka workbooks route) are mainly geared toward visual learners. How does Mary learn?

Virginia

> Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 07:46:11 -0600
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Does Anyone Homeschool?
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Does anyone Homeschool? If you do, why? I am considering it as an option instead of fighting with the school. Also Mary is having major problems with multiple public school issues herself, including the constant changes throughout the day. Currently she also has Tachycardia as well. I think medically and psychologically she needs Homeschool or an aid at school.
>
> John Runer (dad to Mary 9 RH, Tachycardia)
> Challis, Idaho

> http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_BR_life_in_synch_052009

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.