From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:18:26 -0500
I have some second thoughts about my advice in my first reply (below).

At the time of my purchase, there was only one way to go - with a motherboard that used the Nvidia 780 chipset to support their SLI
graphics cards.  Since then, ATI has come out with competitive graphics cards that might run on one of the Intel chipsets.  Also, if
you are not looking at a high-end graphics solution (gamer graphics), then you might be able to find a motherboard that works better
with the Quad chips.  So, you need to do your homework by reading the reviews on Tom's Hardware Guide, Anantec, ExtremeTech, and
whatever else is available then decide what you really want.

1) At this time, unless you have a specific piece of software in mind, the 32bit operating systems will do just fine and may save
you some grief.  By the time that the 64 bit software is widely used and the 32 bit operating system is dated, whatever you buy now
will be way out of date anyway.  That includes the operating system!

2) There is little available that uses the Quad Core processor- again, unless you have a specific application in mind, the dual core
processors will do fine.

3) I recommend one of the 45 nm Intel chips.  There is little reason to buy any other.

4) There is a new architecture coming from Intel toward the end of the year.  It is called Nehalem.  Tom's Hardware Guide has had
some info on it in the last week or so.  If you spend a lot of money on a new computer, built or bought, its architecture will be
dated within the year.  Its contents will be dated in months.

My advice is tainted.  I spent a lot of money on fancy equipment from ASUS and Nvidia for both myself and my wife (we got identical
systems), and I feel that they both have let me down.  I have seen people with the dual core processors very happy with the same
motherboard that I have been having frequent crashes with.  So, I am a bit biased against the quad-core 45nm chip systems.  I'll
have second thoughts about ASUS and Nvidia in the future, too!!  BTW, my wife's computer also crashes maybe once a day, not as much
as mine does.  She has been able to finish "The Witcher" and much of "Assassin's Creed" without too much trouble.  However, my
problems are well documented by others - we did not get the only systems with trouble.  If you get a complete system from a system
builder, you might not run into the same problems.  Of course, it would not have the same hardware. :)

Dean Kukral