From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:14:38 -0500
The main difference between normal mode and safe mode is that the minimum number of drivers are loaded in safe mode to make it run.
The fact that it runs fine in safe mode without overheating strongly suggests that  you have a driver problem of some kind.  I think
that the first thing that you should do is download and install every driver that you can (save them to the hard drive in case you
need them again).  If that doesn't help, you might considering updating the bios to the latest version for XP and your new
processor.

There may still be some more malware that F-prot did not get.  You might consider running Avast (free) to see if it can catch
something new.  (Do not have two anti-virus programs installed at the same time, however.)  It is possible that a virus caused or is
causing your driver problems.

Dean Kukral