C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:08:53 -0500
Got it -
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/10/27/doctor-immigration-palsy.h
tml

MD rejected for immigration because daughter could burden medicare

A Calgary critical-care doctor's application for permanent residency has
been rejected because one of his daughters might be a drain on the health
care system.

South African physician Stanley Muwanguzi says his 22-year-old daughter has
been institutionalized since she was a toddler and he has no intention of
moving her to Canada.

"It has been a nightmare.... [That] this is happening in Canada is truly
shameful. That is the only way to put it," he said.

Muwanguzi, who works at the Peter Lougheed Hospital, has been practising in
Canada since 2002.

A letter from the government sent to Muwanguzi says he doesn't meet the
requirements for immigration to Canada.

The letter says that under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, a
"person whose health condition, severe developmental delay associated with
cerebral palsy, might reasonably be expected to cause excessive demand on
health or social services," is inadmissible to Canada.

Since Muwanguzi's "non-accompanying family member is inadmissible to
Canada," he is also "inadmissible."

'Here we have someone so skilled, who has a son equally as skilled that
would join him in a flash. There is no logic behind it.'
—Lawyer Wendy Danson
Muwanguzi, who is in Canada on a temporary foreign worker permit, has
appealed the determination.

A spokesman for Citizenship and Immigration Canada said Muwanguzi's case is
complicated and moving along as quickly as possible.

"Once the reviews are done and the people are consulted that have to be
consulted, and that includes medical officers and whatnot, then a decision
will be rendered. It would be my hope that that decision will occur sooner
rather than later," Rob Ferguson said.

Doctor son also wants to immigrate
Muwanguzi said if he doesn't receive an answer soon, he will have to move
to the United States.

Wendy Danson, his lawyer, said Canada needs doctors like Muwanguzi. His son
in South Africa, another practising doctor, would also like to move here,
she said.

"Here we have someone so skilled, who has a son equally as skilled that
would join him in a flash. There is no logic behind it."

Muwanguzi, a father of five, has two daughters living with him and his
wife, Susan, a teacher in Calgary, as well as two sons living in South
Africa. One of his daughters is a pre-med student at the University of
Alberta and is paying high international student fees of about $30,000 a
year.

The couple returns to South Africa once a year to visit their sons and
their daughter with cerebral palsy, who isn't capable of recognizing them
or even talking. (Cerebral palsy refers to a group of neurological
disorders that affect control of movement and posture and that limit
activity.)

Muwanguzi said it's wrong he is being rejected "because of the notion that
my daughter would be a drain on the Canadian economic system."

"I told the Immigration [Department] very clearly that I didn't want to
destabilize my daughter. She has been in the same institution since she was
18 months old.… They are looking after her very well," he said. "There is
no reason to move her. It would actually be detrimental."

Dan Zuege, the medical director of critical care at Peter Lougheed
Hospital, has written a letter of support for Muwanguzi.

"I am very supportive of Dr. Muwanguzi's appeal for landed immigrant status
and I have no doubts as to his integrity and intentions surrounding the
care of his daughter and his commitment to service within the Canadian
health care system," he wrote.