C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Hunsberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:42:58 -0500
It's essentially a research project, the government is somewhat involved
(mostly at a funding level, but also as part of the institutions connected
to it). Among other things, it enables things like distributed super
computer clusters, distributed 3D virtualization/visualization and very
large data transfer.  Parts of it will eventually become standard parts of
the Internet but it's unlikely that any  of it will be taken over by the
public; (partly because the public doesn't own the current Internet, but I
think I understand what you were getting at), simply because they're will
always be a need for a more private experimental playground that seeds
discoveries to the more general public network infrastructure.
I have no idea if Al Gore helped with the legislation for the Internet2
initiative in any way... ;-)

--
Peter Hunsberger

--