C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Hunsberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:01:11 -0500
If you're referencing what is commonly know as Internet2" then it
is actually more of an academic initiative. It's also already part of the
regular Internet, it's how we access the Internet here at work.  Biggest
difference from what most people see is very high speed point to point
connections among the consortium members (and institutions that are then
connected directly to consortium members, as in our case).  Here's the "what
is it" from the consortium web site:

Internet2 is a consortium being led by 206 universities working in
partnership with industry and government to develop and deploy advanced
network applications and technologies, accelerating the creation of
tomorrow's Internet. Internet2 is recreating the partnership among academia,
industry and government that fostered today´s Internet in its infancy. The
primary goals of Internet2 are to:

   - Create a leading edge network capability for the national research
   community
   - Enable revolutionary Internet applications
   - Ensure the rapid transfer of new network services and applications to
   the broader Internet community.

--
Peter Hunsberger