From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 10:13:51 -0600
the ctcss/tone/dts  setting is the same as the mic gain and rf
power....there is a beep at each end of the range and if you can count
clicks, you have it.
You can also program ctcss tones with the free kenwood software, and that is
a bit more convenient.
You also have separate buttons to turn tx tone and rx tone on or off
individually as you wish....the tx tone is a bit anoying because there is no
high or low beep indicating weather the tone is active or not...with the rx
tone it is obvious because it mutes the squelch when it is active.
I suppose if your trying to get into a tone controled repeater, you either
get in or you don't and that is a good indicator of if the tone is active or
not hi hi.
For me, i never use ctcss tones simply because the ts2000 has excellent
intermod rejection, and, because i live in an area where i don't get more
then one repeater in range on a particular frequency at one time.
I can see how ctcss might be a good thing to have if you live in an area
like the north eastern US where you can get multiple repeaters within range
on the same frequency.
73
Colin, V A6BKX