From:
T Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:48:28 -0400
    John:

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one out their who killed a multi-meter
through some sort of a stupid human-error type of mistake.

Actually, when I fried my old RAT Shack one by putting the batteries in
backwards, I wasn't aware of the fact that the batteries needed to be put in
the way that they were.  What I did was put the negative of the batteries on
the long metal strip in the meter's battery compartment, which is usually
the way most battery-operated appliances designate proper  polarity, and it
turned out that that was actually the "plus" terminal.

Oh well, live and learn, I guess.

You would have thought they would have some sort of diode protection in
there for that sort of thing, but they obviously didn't.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ