From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:55:19 -0400

We went to the Original Pancake House store in Bethesda, MD this morning.  There's a sign on the door that says "Gluten Free Pancakes" which was pretty exciting (the smaller print says it's Bob Redmill mix).

The waitress, when I asked her, didn't know what I was talking about.  She said, "I'll go in the back and ask."  Before she went back, she yelled to another waitress, "Do you know anything about gluten-free pancakes?" and she got a shrug and a grunt.  Then she disappeared for a long time and came back and said, "Well they're not made with wheat.  They're made with gluten."  And I asked if I could talk with the manager.  She got the manager and he told me that everything is stored and prepared separately and that they have a special grill for the gluten-free pancakes.

He said you can order them with whatever you want and, "If you get blueberries, they put the blueberries with the gluten-free batter and if you get chocolate chips, they put that in the gluten-free batter."

So I ordered the blueberry pancakes.  They came on a different plate than the type of plate my wife got.  So they apparently go to the trouble of keeping a separate set of plates just for gluten-free orders.  When the waitress brought them, I told her a little bit about CD and told her that it had been years since I had been able to eat pancakes.  She said, "So wait, you haven't had pancakes in, like five years?"  And I said yes and she said, "Wow."  I thanked her very much for making sure she got everything right and I gave her a big tip.

It was nice to have pancakes out in a restaurant.

Richard Paul
Washington, DC