Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:51:25 -0600

The best advice my immigrant Italian grandmother gave me (she came to
America through Ellis Island as a very young child in 1905) was to each
morning, after my coffee, take a coffee cup full of hot water, squeeze
approx. a half a lemon juice into it and add as much "local" honey as I darn
well pleased.  Then, while you were sipping this, walk outside and take the
sun for a few minutes, which usually meant 20 minutes.  When she would sit
with me in the sun she would always take off her glasses because she said
sunlight needed to be absorbed through your eyes as well as your skin.  Does
this sound familiar, folks?

About the lemon & honey, I only half-heartedly followed her advice during my
adulthood.  It wasn't until my early 50s when my health deteriorated and I
was diagnosed Celiac that I began a daily regimen of hot water with lemon
and honey, 1 to 2 cups a day, most often in the morning.  I have done this
for more than 4 years now.  What I can report is that I never suffer from
heartburn, so therefore the acidity of the lemon is not an issue for me.  I
no longer get "black and blue" marks, or bruising, or ecchymotic spots any
more, for which I had many, and often, previously (increasing my Vitamin C).
I also note after considerable speculation that the honey without a doubt
calms me.  I have even taken my pulse at varying intervals as proof of
decreased pulse.  In addition, I understand that local honey provides some
protection against local fauna allergens.  I have also seen a decrease in my
allergies to certain grasses, trees and flowers, to which point I truly
rarely need a benadryl, if ever within the past year.  The honey
additionally provides me energy in the morning, as I have a, some would say,
bad habit of not eating but only drinking and perhaps snacking on fruit
until the noon meal.

I began natural sun bathing after I was diagnosed with colo-rectal cancer at
51 (surely from silent Celiac), against most of my doctor's advice (my
oncologist was the only one who held her opinion).  It made sense though to
my friends and family.  They encouraged me to take the sun, and would sit
with me when things were very bad at first.  The sun felt great, I derived
strength from it, (as well as support from family/friends) and somehow I
knew it was the right thing for me.  I didn't overdo it, just a half hour or
so with my face and hands exposed, or more exposed if it was warm enough.  I
do not use sunscreen unless I am out on a boat or at the beach or reflected
snow.  Be it known that I do go to a University Dermatologist yearly along
with my husband, who has had a pre-melanoma spot removed several years ago
so we make it a joint venture and go in together so we can see what the docs
consider no problem or watch this spot etc.  I have an olive complexion and
never burned in my youth.  I got an A from my dermatologist this year, even
with sitting in the sun.  She did say not to exceed 30 minutes and don't sit
out during the hottest time of the day.

To this day I make sure I grab my minimum 10 minutes in the sun each day
whenever possible, usually in the morning, with of course my cup of hot
lemon & honey.  I do live in the Southwest, so I am able to do so many days.
I am feeling so so much better these days, which I believe is a combination
of going gluten free, dairy free, minimum processed foods, lots of protein
from meats, fish and eggs, fresh organic veges and fruits, and let's not
forget my probiotics!.  I try to remember to take off my glasses too, like
Grandma Noni said.  All the above is not a recommendation for you; it is
merely a personal life experience.  Derive from it what you wish, and
please, no flaming.  Celiac best regards, Dorina, near Galveston, TX