Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 05:09:59 -0800

  Thank you to everyone who responded to my query on gluten-free glucosamine.

  One member said that "all vitamins MUST list all ingredients on label....so it is easy to check."

  I had several people write to say that the Member’s Mark (Sam’s) brand is gluten free—which is what I’ve decided to go with. Let’s hear it for cheap drugs! There also seems to be several available at Costco (which we don’t have in our area) as well as a few other brands. They are all listed below.

  I also had a few extra comments on glucosamine in general:
  "…be careful if you are allergic to shellfish."
  "Give it 3 months to get into your system."
  "I recommend the ones that also contain ‘chondroitin sulphate.’"

  Angela Taylor (Tulsa, Oklahoma)
  _____

  Members Mark (Sam’s) – Says "gluten free" on the label.

  Costco/Kirkland brand – "…years ago they told me that the only one of their house supplements that was not GF was their echinecea."

  Move Free – Says "no added gluten" on the label. Can be found at Costco.

  Osteo Bi-Flex – No verification given. Can be found at Costco.

  Schiff Glucosamine 1500 MG plus MSM – Says "no gluten" on the label. Can be found at Costco.

  Cosamin DS – "… I called about and was told was gluten-free. It’s also about the only glucosamine supplement with the Good Housekeeping Seal and which is tested regularly to make sure it has the stated amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin in it. It works great!"

  CVS brand – "…it doesn't list any wheat products in list of ingredients and I haven't any trouble with it."

  Source Naturals Glucosamine/Chondroitin (with or without MSM) – Says "contains no gluten" on the label.

  Triple Flex (Nature Made) – Says "gluten free" on the label. "It also contains, besides both of the above [glucosamine & chondriton], MSM, which also seems beneficial to me. The phone # for the company is 1 800 276 2878."

  Wild Oats brand – Says "no gluten" on the label.

  Joint & Arthritis Relief 1500 (Natural Health Company Pty. Ltd.) – Says "free from gluten" on the label. Product of Australia.

  365 Extra Strength Glucosamine & Chondroitin (Whole Foods) – No verification given.

  Natural Factors Glucosamine 500mg /Chonroitin 400 – No verification given. "…which I buy at Henry's health food store in San Diego." Product of Canada.