VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Terri Hedgpeth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terri Hedgpeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2007 20:47:16 -0700
Oh yes Jeff and all,
I also found that Window Eyes seems superior with regard to creating
PowerPoint presentations. You have access to so much more info as far as
placement of titles, slide headers, reordering slides, or just moving
one slide to another position in the order, (inserting, editing cells,
row and column headers, etc. One reason why Window Eyes may be providing
better access to many of these apps is that the WE works from a DOM
(document object model), which means that the screen-reader is
interacting with what is current on your monitor screen. This is the new
approach since Microsoft dropped the MSAA Microsoft Active
Accessibility, a few years ago. So, if anyone is so inclined, it might
be worth a look. They offer a $39 a month payment plan interest free and
with 2 SMAs included.
I definitely have to add my own speech engine though because I
absolutely cannot stand the deck talk soft synthe. I remember how much
most of us love the voice years ago, before JAWS  starting using the
Eloquence voice. I have really gotten use to the responsiveness of
eloquence synthe voice now.

Any ways, as I stated earlier, I am in the process of switching. I feel
the FS JAWS has gotten a little to aggressive with their update scheme
regarding pricing, and as a result more and more of their customers
aren't able or willing to keep paying the steep prices for upgrade after
upgrade.

Terri Hedgpeth
Academic Research Professional
Cubic, iCare box 87-8309