BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that doubts.
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:15:03 -0500
Amazing that a few of those P-38s still exist. My dad was a test pilot
for the B-17s, B-22s and P-38s that came off the WWII production lines
at Offit Air Field near Omaha.

Lindberg taught my dad to fly at Arrow Airfield southeast of Lincoln,
Nebraska, I think that was 1922 or '23. Lindberg himself had learned to
fly there just the summer before, and was paying off his debt to the
field operator by teaching others to fly the next summer. My dad learned
to fly in a Ginny biplane from WWI. Though my dad did not go into flying
professionally it was always a side interest, and my older brother built
flying models from scratch. My dad would drive us out to Arrow Airfield
where they still repaired wooden planes in the 1950s and buy billets of
spruce, bamboo and balsa, yards of silk and quarts of dope. On these
visits to the airfield my brother and I would sit on the end of the work
bench in the hanger and listen as my dad and the old aircraft buzzards
there sling flight stories back and forth. My brother would bring a
half-built model and ask them questions about construction details. Back
at our shop dad would rip the billets into thin strips and slivers on
the table saw. As a little kid I had fun watching my older brother build
and fly his models, but never built one myself. When I was in 10th grade
I joined the Civil Air Patrol and learned to fly in a Piper Cub and,
most amazingly, in a Ginny biplane, the same model my dad had learned
in. Those biplanes are like kites and you land one to a standing stop in
only 20-30 yards of runway. By that time the Arrow field was defunct. We
flew out of the general aviation field that was part of the US Air Force
Base north of Lincoln. One mission I few on, as co-navigator, was
air-delivery of 50 tons of hay to ranchers in western Nebraska for their
stranded cattle after a particularly hard blizzard. There were a lot of
WWI stories on that flight.

My dad passed away in 1989. We buried him in a cemetery that was
developed in the 1970s on the land that had been the old Arrow Airfield.

John