From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 17:23:55 -0700

Hi Listmates -

I just made the most heavenly loaf of bread and I wanted to share my
recipe.  No dairy, No eggs, No bean flour, no potato starch, but it
has fiber and I think it is pretty healthy!  It is light and fluffy
and tastes (and LOOKS) like bread.  You won't find this recipe in a
cookbook.

I used a large and deep bread pan (the one that is advertised on this
list.)

Combine in your mixing bowl:
1.5 cups of cornstarch
1 cup tapioca starch
1 cup arrowroot starch
.5 cups sorghum flour
some combination of the following to equal 1 cup (I just pour in
approximately equal amounts):
ground flaxseed
Montina/rice flour blend
rice bran
psyllium fiber

Turn the mixer on low to mix all this together

add and set aside:
1 T yeast added to 2 cups milk substitute (I use almond milk) plus a
squirt of something sugary (I use agave nectar).  If the milk has
been refrigerated, I microwave the liquid for 1 minute and mix it up
to redistribute the heat before adding the yeast.

Add to the mixing bowl:
2 tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
2 tsp xantham gum

Turn mixer on low to blend.

Add 3 T olive oil
1 -2 tsp of apple cider vinegar

Turn mixer on low to blend again.

In a mug, add 3/4 cup water and a pinch of agar agar (less than 1/4
tsp).  Put in microwave for one minute to heat up.  Stir until you
get tired.  Add to mixer bowl and blend.  (Agar agar is seaweed that
can be used as an egg substitute.)

Finally, add the yeasty mixture, which should be bubbly by now, to
the mixer bowl.  Mix on high for 5 minutes.

While it is mixing, set the oven to 150 degrees.  When it reaches the
temperature, turn it off.

Grease your loaf pan and then dust with rice flour.

Spoon the bread into the loaf pan.  Smooth it over with a wet spoon
so it looks like a very short loaf of bread.  Cover with a clean dish
towel (if you think it won't touch the towel when the bread rises) or
a greased piece of aluminum foil and put it in the warm oven for  1
hour (by then it should have doubled in size).  Take it out of the
oven while the oven warms up to the baking temperature.

Bake at 400 degrees for 60 - 70 minutes (I baked it longer because I
also baked biscuits at the same time).  Butter the top of the loaf
when it is almost done to make the bread softer and easier to slice.

By the way, my biscuits were also delicious - I used the same basic
recipe, except I used NO yeast, and 2.75 cups of water and .25 cups
of almond milk for the total liquids (including the liquid for the
agar agar).  Spoon the mixture onto your cookie pan lined with baking
paper so they are the approximate size of drop biscuits.  Bake for 20
minutes or so if it is the only thing in the oven, for 30+ minutes if
there is a loaf of bread in there as well.

I apologize for my approximate measurements - the bread seems to turn
out OK as long as I use mostly starches (tapioca, arrowroot, and
corn) to keep it fluffy, some combination of healthy ingredients to
give it flavor, and accurate measurements of the few ingredients that
I was specific about to make sure it rises.

Happy Baking!

Jackie in AZ