AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
VERA R CROWELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2008 08:53:36 -0500

                         AAM MEMBERSHIP - $25!!!!

MAIL YOUR CHECK TO AAM, P. O. Box 1016, MADISON, WI 53701

Hi, Peter.

I never said that this man should be released...I made no statement one way or the other. What I did was question the apparent joy on this listserve that the man had been jailed for not having a work visa and that his imprisonment was deemed a desirable thing. What I also questioned was the pleasure evoked because this man was jailed due to his unpopular views and because he has printed defamatory articles about people in power...

I'm just trying to understand the double standard. When American presidential administrations (doesn't matter which party, really) is accused of these acts, it is regarded as business as usual for American regimes. When it occurs and the person involved is someone you (pl.) don't agree with, then you decide he should be jailed. Whether or not the person has money isn't the issue here.
Imprisonment without probable cause should be illegal everywhere; work visas notwithstanding. If you feel it's wrong to jail people without work visas here because they're poor and hard workers, then why should any country jail people without work visas? Let them work.

"In the days before volcanoes were invented, lava had to be hand carried down from the mountains and poured on the sleeping villagers.
This took a great deal of time."