GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:30:53 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No. 007/2008, 17 January  2008
*-0-*
Editorial
Will external Debt Relief actually result in  Relief?
The Gambia has incurred Foreign and Domestic debts which amount to  billions
of dalasis. The issue of debt relief refers mainly to external debts.  Little
is being said regarding the volume of the Domestic debt.
It is  important for the country to look at its domestic debt and develop a
strategy to  reduce such a burden and create the basis to avoid its future
growth.
In  short, in 2006, the interest on foreign debt stood at 243,355, 000
Dalasis while  the interest on domestic debts stood at 721,872,000 dalasis..
In 2007, the  interest on foreign debt stood at 231,350,000 while the
interest on domestic  debt stood at 615,000,000. In 2008, the interest on the foreign
debt is  estimated to be 222,494,000 dalasis while the interest on the
domestic debt is  estimated as 594,000,000 dalasis.
The figures confirm that more interest is  being paid in connection with the
domestic debt than the foreign debt.
This  huge reliance by the government on domestic debt, which is giving birth
to  treasury bills, has serious repercussions to private sector investments.
In  short, if the domestic banking sector finds it more lucrative and reliable
to  lend to government, they do not give much regard to private sector
investment.  This is why businesses, which require credit, often find it very
difficult to  pass all the huddles to get support. It would be important for the
Monetary  Policy Committee of the Central Bank to study how long it takes for a
bank to  process an application for a loan. Many customers do complain that
accessing  bank loans appears more like a favour than a service premised on equal
 opportunity. Instead of following established procedures to gain access, one
 follows the person one knows for privilege. This may be some of the causes
that  lead to defaults in the payment of loans and the bad debts.
The second  concern is the need to know what happened to the billions which
have been paid  back as interest from treasury bills. Have they been put back
into the cycle for  more interest from treasury bills or are they redirected to
some productive  ventures? Needless to say, if the government reduces its
borrowing, the need  will be there for the billions it used to receive to be
absorbed elsewhere. May  be the Monetary Policy Committee should look into the
creation of a stock market  so as to provide outlet for the investment of such
capital.
In our view, a  lot of lip service is being paid to private sector growth but
little next to  nothing is being done to facilitate it. In the interval
poverty and unemployment  continue to surge.
*-0-*

Supreme Court Dismisses UDP/NRP Suit
By  Bubacarr K. Sowe
The Supreme Court of The Gambia yesterday dismissed the suit  filed by the
United Democratic Party (UDP), the National Reconciliation Party  (NRP) and the
Minority Leader, which urged the court to declare amendments to  the
Constitution and the Local Government Act null and void and to prevent the  Independent
Electoral Commission (IEC) from proceeding with the forthcoming  council
elections.
The dismissal of the suit was pronounced while the Chief  Justice, Abdou
Kareem Savage, sitting as a single judge, was making his ruling  on a preliminary
objection filed by the Attorney General, Marie Saine-Firdaus.  In her
preliminary objection the Attorney General urged the court not to bother  to consider
the merits of the case but to dismiss it, because, among other  things, the
suit is not properly constituted. The Chief Justice concurred and  the whole
suit was dismissed because it was not properly constituted.
The  Judge held that in this suit, the UDP and NRP are not legally existing
entities  because they are still part of NADD, pointing out that only Messrs
Hamat Bah and  Ousainou Darboe have pulled out of NADD, not UDP and NRP. Chief
Justice Savage  said he relied on a Supreme Court judgment of 2005 where the
seats of Halifa  Sallah and other National Assembly Members were declared vacant
after  ‘they  joined a new political party, NADD’.
Apart from the improper  constitution of the suit, the first defendant, the
Attorney General, also  alleged ‘abuse of the court process’ because the
relief sought by the plaintiffs  are not legally available. The Attorney General
also wanted the case dismissed  because the court has no authority to hear it
nor do the plaintiffs (UDP, NRP  and the Minority Leader) have the right to file
the case. The Chief Justice  however did not consider these issues but based
his ruling only on the “improper  constituent of the suit”.
Ousainou Darboe, who was representing the UDP, NRP  and the Minority Leader,
said at the end of the ruling that they will pursue the  matter to the full
bench of the Supreme Court, since Justice Savage’s ruling is  that of a single
judge.
Amie Joof-Conteh, counsel for the IEC, asked for  costs, but Mr. Darboe
questioned who will pay the cost if the plaintiffs have  been declared as
in-existent entities.
Reacting to the ruling, Hamat Bah, the  NRP Leader said they will take up the
matter with the full bench of the Supreme  Court for a review.
*-0-*

M.L. Touray Did Not Represent  NADD
M.L. Touray, the NADD candidate for the 2005 Kombo East by-election,
attended UDP meetings in Serrekunda and Bakau in his personal capacity and not  as a
representative of NADD, as reported by GRTS TV news broadcast. This was
echoed by both a NADD letter to the IEC and M.L Touray in an interview granted  to
this paper. The full text of the letter is as follows:
“The objective of  this memorandum is to convey to you that the NADD
Executive has not authorised  anyone to speak on its behalf at any rally in the KMC
area. In a TV news  broadcast made on Sunday, 13 January, 2008, Mr. ML Touray is
reported to be  representing NADD at a political rally. This information is
inaccurate and  should be retracted.
Mr. M.L.Touray has formed his own independent group  with its own agenda and
has been asked by the members of the NADD Executive that  his activities are
personal initiatives and are not authorised by them. If   political parties
want an  alliance they know how to go about doing so  through negotiations and
formal agreements which are written and announced for  public notice. The public
should take note of the fact that no political party  has approached NADD for
any consultation regarding participation in the local  government elections
and  that only NADD activists in Wuli have been keen  in coming up with
candidates for sponsorship under the  NADD umbrella. The  NADD executive members are
of the view that the electorate knows whether the  local government election
is significant or not and would vote for the party of  their choice or
independent candidates, irrespective of whether their  candidature is endorsed by NADD
or not. NADD does not want to be a political  factor where it does not have a
candidate and has not sought the endorsement of  any party where it has a
candidate.
It is of the view that the most a party  can achieve in this election is to
test its strength among the electorate.  Alliances were more relevant during
the Presidential and National Assembly  elections.
By a copy of this memorandum, Mr. M.L.Touray is hereby requested  to inform
the public that he is appearing on political platforms in his personal
capacity and not on behalf of NADD.”
When contacted the former National  Assembly aspirant, Mr. M.L Touray, told
the paper that he attended the said  rally as a by stander and was suddenly
given the microphone to speak. He also  stated that although he was not familiar
with the programme of UDP’s contestant,  he was driven by the desire to uproot
APRC. Touray pointed out that all  opposition parties should be united by a
common objective which is to dislodge  APRC from power through legitimate
means.
The NADD candidate in the 2005  Kombo East Constituency by-election has
emphasized that he remains part of  NADD.
*-0-*

Women Farmers In Kantora Look For A Better  Price
By Lamin Fatty
The women farmers in Kantora, as in many other places  in the country, have
been selling their groundnuts across the border, in  neighbouring Senegal,
where it is said they are better paid. These farmers are  complaining of being
exploited at the seccos by the offer of low prices.
This reporter caught up with a group of women with bags and pans of shelled
groundnuts on their way to the weekly ‘lumo’ of Manda, in neighbouring
Senegal,  who told him that they are tired of being exploited. They said that
groundnut  cultivation is the most difficult type of farming but that the reward
does not  commensurate with the hard labour that it entails.
Teneng Sanyang, a  groundnut farmer, who lives at Sotuma Village in Kantora
District, said they  would rather take their groundnut produce to Manda, where
they expect a better  price than to take it to the seccos or depots for very
low prices. She argued  that if they take their nuts to Manda, a good price
will be paid instantly and  which will enable them to buy more items for their
families and to better  prepare themselves for the next farming season.
Another groundnut producer,  Balang Sanyang, argued that whenever they sell
their groundnuts at a buying  point (secco), they are open to exploitation
because they cannot read the scale  used to weigh their crop; that since they
cannot read the scale they can be  cheated and paid anything. She argued that on
the other hand, if they  decorticate their groundnuts and sell in cups then it
becomes easy to know how  much is sold; that they cannot be cheated this way.
Tai Sanyang, Mafenda and  Kai, all groundnut farmers, echoed similar
statements and saying that the era of  exploiting them has gone, especially when the
groundnut crop is the most  marketable produce so far.
*-0-*

Dried And Smoked Fish Processors Speak Out
By Modou Jonga
Lack of  electricity and water are impacting negatively on the businesses of
ordinary  fishmongers at Gunjur, this paper has learnt .This reporter went to
Gunjur on  Tuesday, 15 January to talk to the fishmongers and to enquire about
the  challenges they face in their trade.
Fatou Bojang, a smoked and dried fish  seller, said that she buys fish from
the fishermen at the seaside at Gunjur and  that three “Kunkelungho’’
(catfish) cost D20 to D40, depending on its  availability in the market. She said
drying and smoking fish consume time and is  tedious. She lamented the high price
of fish and urged the fishermen to reduce  their prices as they depend on the
fish selling business to meet their household  needs, including the payment of
school fees for their children. She noted the  frequent shortage of fish
supply, which she said affects their  businesses.
One Ara Sanneh, another smoked and dried fish processor, said a  basket of
catfish costs her D1000 or D1400, depending on its availability or  scarcity on
a given day. She said she buys fish from the fishermen at Gunjur;  that the
work that is involved in the drying and smoking of fish is extremely  tedious;
that she sells her dried and smoked fish at the Serekunda Market. She  said
that on rare occasions they have contracts to sell their smoked and dried  fish
to the United Kingdom. She explained how the lack electricity and transport
facilities are affecting their business. She also complained about the lack of a
 competitive market to sell their products.
Another processed fish seller,  Mariama Manjang, said that the price of fish
is more often dictated by its  availability or scarcity. She said when the
catch is good, a pan of “Chalo” or  Bonga would cost between D100 and D150, but
when there is shortage of fish, a  pan can sometimes cost between D200 and
D250. She said they often sell their  fish at either the Brikama or Serekunda
markets. She lamented the lack of access  to the international market. She said
an access to the market abroad can help  alleviate their constraints. Awa Sey,
a woman fishmonger, expressed the same  thing and noting that the lack of
electricity, water supply and financial  assistance is hindering their business.
*-0-*

Media,  Security and Politicians On Election Dialogue
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Mr.  Dawda A. Jallow, programme officer for the National Council for Civil
Education,  recently sensitized media practitioners, security agents and
politicians on the  reasons and needs for holding such a seminar ahead of the Local
Government  Elections. Mr. Jallow indicated that Local Government Elections
have been in  existence since time immemorial. He said Local Governments are
responsible for  the collection and distribution of revenues for the sole use of
the tax payers.  He added that they also have the mandate to look into the
basic needs of the tax  payers and the people that they are representing. He said
councillors should  involve all sectors of society in any activity they embark
on. He said  councillors should involve the people in any project they
initiate before  implementing it. Mr. Jallow indicated that councilors should work
hand in hand  with village development committees in order to determine the
type of projects  their villages or wards need at that particular time. Mr.
Jallow indicated that  councillors should be more development oriented than being
partisans when voted  into office. He pointed out that in most cases, the way
councillors select their  committees are partisan; that most committee members
are either their supporters  or relatives. Mr. Jallow also pointed out that
council meetings should be an  open forum like the National Assembly; that their
financial report needs to be  audited and accessed by the public. The seminar
was attended by several police  chiefs, media houses and representatives from
political parties.  There  were discussions on cross cutting issues from all
the parties involved in the  seminar. It was held at the Atlantic Corinthia
Hotel in  Banjul.
*-0-*

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
“Too Late! He  Lost Her”
Part 6

With Amie Sillah

The Frame  Up
The frame up was perfect. Ani is a perfect schemer. She wanted Ismail for
herself unbeknown to the naughty Rugi. Rugi is jealous of all her girl friends.
She wanted none to be dating her brother. She is quite possessive. Rugi
treated  Ismail as a junior brother. She capitalized on Ismail’s niceness. She was
surprised and taken aback when Ismail revolted. She thought she was losing
her  grip to Isha. That’s why she despised her so much of late. Ani’s frame up
was  perfect. Ismail ate the bait. Ismail now despised and rejected Isha. He
described her as a cheap whore.

Ismail Pays Isha A Visit
Ismail  paid Isha a visit at her hostel. He insulted her person and called
her names.  “The ‘virgin’ prostituted,” he mocked at her. “Virgin indeed! I
have broken up  with you. I don’t want to set my eyes on you again. You betrayed
my trust. I  don’t think I can love and trust a woman again. My heart is
broken.” “Go! Go  away! I don’t want to see you either. Leave me alone. Believe
whatever you want  to believe. My conscience is clear. I know I am innocent.”
Isha went inside her  house and shut it behind her. She emotionally broke down.
She suspected that  Rugi and Anita had framed her up.

True Love Never Dies
Ismail  was hurt. He found Isha irresistible. He wanted to keep away but he
could not.  After some few days, he broke his rule and went checking on Isha.
Isha gave a  strict order that nobody should lead Ismail to his room in the
hostel.

Isha Shows an Olive Branch
Isha does not want to keep  malice with her best pal Rugi. She confronted her
and expressed her intention  for peace. Rugi was sulky. She snubbed Isha and
called her names. “I hated ever  making you my friend in the first place. You
are a traitor and betrayer. You  bewitched Ismail and turned him into our
enemy. He is our elder brother. Our  family was so devoted until you came and
split it. You are now dodging him and  he is following you as a he goat. You
nobody with no significant family name.”  “God will judge between us. I am
innocent of all your accusations Ismail loves  me but you schemed and framed me up.
Now you have destroyed true love, yet still  you want to torment me. I left
your brother and you still call me a gold digger.  I’ll not malice you or Anita.
My heart is clean. I wish you all well.” Then she  left. Rugi hissed at her.

Another Palaver
Isha is gone. Now it’s  Anita’s turn. She was ready for Rugi. “You can never
be her lover or husband.  You are her brother. She cannot marry you. I am not
Isha. I’ll not allow her  harass me,” Ani told Ismail. Rugi came and found
them in a compromising  position. She insulted both of them and walked out.
They ignored her and  continued their romance.

Isha Is Not Happy
Isha came to love  Ismail as he loved her but she has feminine pride. She did
not want Ismail to  know she cared. She pretended to be nonchalant. Isha
brooded over the break up.  “Ismail now has a bad impression of me. This really
hurts my pride and  ego.”

Mom Advises Her Daughter
“I have no child of my own. You  are my daughter. Let Ismail go. He is not to
be your husband. If he was yours he  would have been unshakable. He has to
trust himself to be deceived by those  cheats. He should have known what you are
capable of. Now you have more time to  concentrate on you studies that is
your real empowerment.” Aunty Marie advised  her niece. Think of our family. We
love you and wish you well. You made us proud  by excelling in your course.

Anita, the Master Schemer
Anita  knew that Ismail was still brooding over his break up with Isha. She
decided to  occupy his mind not to think of going back. She invited him to a
beach picnic.  She prepared a variety of delicacies for Ismail. She wore a
seductive beach  bikini to seduce Ismail. She put on romantic music and engaged
Ismail in a lot  of exciting exercises and dance. There was entertainment and
fun. Ismail  expressed that he did not laugh since his break up with Isha. “You
made my day!”  He expressed as they started to leave for home. Anita tried to
destroy Isha’s  image but Ismail detested it and asked her to refrain. “She is
not here. Stop  spoiling her name. I love her, we appreciated each other at
that time. She is a  great babe. I still respect her. Stop viewing her in the
negative.” Anita was  displeased but she pretended to take the criticism in
good faith. She made her  intention known to Ismail. “I love you since I set my
eyes on you but at that  time there was no vacancy. Now there is. Can you
consider me?” She asked  jokingly. “Well! It is abrupt. My break up with Isha
still hurts. Give me time.  Inshallah! It will be positive.” “I hope so! I hope
so!” Anita was acceptable.  She soliloquized. “The idiot! His mind is still on
that witch Isha. But I’ll  ensure he never goes back to her.”

At the Gym
The duo Rugi and  Anita were exercising at the Gym. They discussed about
Isha. She was caricatured  and called names. By the coincidence, she rang Rugi.
She still refused to take  her calls

Anita Admires Ismail
“Ismail is handsome. Isha does  not deserve her,” Anita said. “Who does?”
Rugi became suspicious and sarcastic.  Anita tried to avoid her contempt.

Another Suitor For  Isha
Amadou is a business tycoon. He has no university degree but he has the
buck. He has two wives who are not conventionally educated. Amadou wanted to  make
Isatou his third wife. He has already assigned a mansion for her. Each of
the two wives has her own villa addressed in her name; Villa Awa, Villa Binet.
He intended to name the third villa after Isha if she agrees to marry him.
Aunty  Marie was excited. “Allah has now clapped for us. If we don’t dance we
will  never dance again,” she advised her niece. Isha does not want to marry for
money  but for love. Aunty Marie could not understand her niece. She
lamented, “Is she  possessed?” She confided to Aunty Mariatou her bosom friend. “You
have to see a  marabout to pray for her. Who knows she might be under a spell.
Who in her right  sense would reject this opportunity.” Isha dodged her home.
She remained in her  hostel and switched off her mobile phone. Amadou is
desperate. A marabout asked  him to marry Isha. “She will make your business grow
to higher heights,” Baba  advised.
Amadou lavished money on Aunty Marie. He promised to sponsor a hajj  packet
for her. Uncle Pa Badou is a dignified elder. He refused all gifts from
Amadou. Aunty Marie criticized him. “Your refusal is strengthening Isha to  refuse
Amadou’s proposal. You are wicked. You don’t want us to escape poverty.  But
Inshallah! I’ll escape poverty whether you like it or not.” Pa Badou ignored
his wife’s tantrums. “My honour is my pride. I am not into an opportunistic
union. Isha is the subject here. I go by her wishes and nothing else. No
amount  of pressure can make me yield.” Pa Badou remained  firm.
*-0-*

IEC Press Release
WITHDRAWAL OF  CANDIDATURE
Mr. Bakary B. Darboe, APRC candidate for the Bakau New  Town/Fajara Ward of
Bakau Constituency, in the Local Government Elections of  January 24th, 2008,
in accordance with Section 51 of Decree 78 of 1996, has  withdrawn his
candidature for the said elections.
The Returning Officer for  the Kanifing Administrative Area has duly
completed, signed and accepted Mr.  Darboe’s withdrawal.
When contacted on the reasons for his untimely  withdrawal, Mr. Darboe said
it is personal and confidential. He said his  withdrawal is not politically
motivated; that he was not persuaded by his party  and no one is behind his
withdrawal.
Darboe said he ‘simply withdrew on his  own accord and nothing more.’
Meanwhile, at the time of going to press, the  APRC had announced the
expulsion of Mr Bakary Darboe from the party. The IEC  also announced the nomination
of Alhagie Adama Bahoum as the new candidate of  the APRC.
*-0-*

Serrekundanding APRC Political Rally  Disaster
By Modou Jonga
Ten people were killed and at least six seriously  injured when a fatal and
an unprecedented road accident occured involving a  loaded truck of the
Al-Karaphafi Road Construction Company with registration  number BJL 4532D and
supporters of the ruling APRC party. This tragic incident  occurred on Sunday, 13
January, 2008 at Serekundanding, in the Kombo Central at  around 8pm.
According to eyewitnesses, the APRC militants were from a  campaign rally
held at Serrekundading and were heading towards Kembujeh when the  driver of the
said truck lost control of the vehicle which then ran through the  militants.
Ten supporters are reported dead and numerous others sustained severe
injuries. The dead bodies and the injured were transported to the Brikama Health
Centre but later referred to the RVTH for post mortem examination and medical
attention.
This reporter was present when the dead bodies were transported  from the
scene to the Health Centre amid tight security and the wailing of  distraught
relatives of the victims. A source at the Brikama Health Centre said  ten people
are reported dead whilst the number of those injured could not be  verified.
Speaking to this reporter at the scene of the fatal incident, on  Monday 15
January, relatives of the dead victims expressed their grief and shock  over
what they called a rare accident and a national disaster. Some relatives of  the
dead were seen at the scene weeping.
When contacted the police PRO,  Inspector Sulayman Secka said that so far ten
people have died and that the  driver of the said truck has been arrested and
is helping the police in their  investigation. Inspector Secka said the
driver told the police that the accident  is as a result of break failure.
The ten deaths involved seven residents of  Serekundanding, two residents of
Kebujeh and one resident of Busumbala who were  all buried on Monday 14
January, at the cemeteries of their respective villages.
*-0-*

Independent Candidate for Kusamai Ward Withdraws
By Modou  Jonga
Reliable information reaching this reporter has it that Mr. Yunus  Gibba,
nominated independent candidate for Kusamai ward, in the Foni Bintang  District
of the Western Region, has withdrawn his candidature for the  forthcoming Local
Government Elections.
Mr. Gibba, who was duly nominated  alongside other independent candidates in
the Western Region on 4 January, 2008  at the IEC Regional Office in Brikama,
has on Monday 14 January informed the  Electoral Commission of his decision to
withdraw from the race.
Speaking to  this reporter, Mr. Gibba said his decision to withdraw came in
the wake of a  meeting he had with his people. He said he had informed the
Electoral Commission  of his decision to withdraw.
When he was questioned on why he was  withdrawing his candidature in the last
hour, Mr. Gibba reiterated that his  decision came as a result of a consensus
he had with his supporters at the said  meeting. He denied being persuaded to
withdraw.
The Electoral Commission has  confirmed the withdrawal of Mr. Gibba.
*-0-*

Treason Convict In Court Again
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Tamsir Jasseh, who  is serving a twenty year jail term for treason, had
appeared in court on Monday,  January 14 in a civil suit filed against him by a
furniture  company.
According to the particulars of the claim, Mr. Jasseh entered an  agreement
with Timber and Furniture Company Limited in December 2004 for the  renting of
a premises at Gloucester Street, Banjul, but the defendant paid two  years in
advance at an annual rent of US$ 12,000.
“The said agreement expired  at the end of December 2006 but the defendant
has continued to occupy the  premises despite notice to quit issued to the
defendant by the plaintiff and has  refused to pay the rent despite demands by the
plaintiff for him to do so,” the  particulars of claim states.
Timber and Furniture Company claims that the  defendant is therefore
illegally occupying the property which it alleged is  causing losses and damages and
is therefore demanding for Mr. Jasseh to pay the  sum of D316, 000, being
arrears of rent from January to December, 2007.
The  plaintiff is claiming  profit and costs from the ex-director of
Immigration.
The matter adjourned to February 14, at the Banjul Magistrates  Court, before
Magistrate Kayode Olajubutu.