Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:43:50 -0500

Has anyone experienced a sudden low-protein count in their blood after being
gluten free?  I have been gluten free now for 1.5 years, and seen amazing
improvements in how I've felt.  Previously I was in severe abdominal pain quite
a bit, bloating, and was also sick to my stomach a lot.  That has pretty much
disappeared since going gluten-free.

But recently I started experiencing swelling in my legs, which has then spread
to my hands and face at times, and has gottten much worse in my
legs/ankles.  Never had this problem before.  I'm 31 years old. I eat healthy,
and exercise 1-2 hours per day.  I've been doing this for years.  I also tend to
eat one serving of meat daily, and also eat cheese and beans fairly often.
(I'm allergic to nuts tho).

So, I went to the doctor and they checked my blood.  The only thing it shows
is a fairly low protein count in my blood, which I guess does lead to swelling
(never knew that before - learn something new everyday!).  They checked my
urine to see if it had protein in it, and it does not.  So they think my kidneys
and liver are functioning properly.  So their conclusion is that with my history
of allergies and celiac that it is probably that I am not absorbing protein for
some reason.  This doesn't make much sense to me - I think I would be having
gastro-intestinal symptoms if their conclusion is the correct reason for my
sudden low-protein count.  (They did run some other tests to rule out arthritis
and lupus and other auto-immune issues.)

Has anyone else run into something like this?  If so, what did the docs ever
figure out?  I'm tired of being swollen much of the time, and I don't really want
to be on a fluid pill all of the time too.

Thanks so much in advance for everyone's input!!