From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:13:32 -0800
Hi Don,

150 is the maximum interface speed. The disk being a rotational device is
governed by physical laws constrained by the platter rotation speed and bit
density on the platters. Regardless of how fast the interface is, you can't
get the bits off the platter any faster than they pass under the read/write
heads. You may get a very short burst faster than the platter speed as data
is pulled out of the cache, but the cache is exhausted in a fraction of a
second.

To make it more complicated, the bit density varies between the inside and
outside tracks of the platters, so that the measured speed depends on where
the test was performed physically on the disk.

Most disks these days spin at 7200RPM, with lower end and most notebook
drives running at 5400 RPM. Higher end disks like the Western Digital Raptor
spin at 10000RPM, but are considerably more expensive. At the very high end
are Seagate Cheetah disks (usually SCSI or fiber only) that spin at
15000RPM. These are typically employed in servers.

HTH,
Russ Poffenberger