Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:25:47 -0700
Really great suggestions Lynnet - thank you.
Tamiflu is actually remarkably effective against profoud virulent influenza, but it must be administered within 48 hours of onset or it doesn't work.  The real problem is that supplies could not possibly match demand in the case of a pandemic.  And crisis plans call for the available doses to go to high priority individuals - health care workers for example.
Of no relevance to paleo diet, but interesting nonetheless, a study done by Minnesota (and later repeated nationwide) found that 50% of health care workers would not report to work in the event of a pandemic.  I would expect that number to drop in actuality.  Imagine good intentions meeting familial pressure - combined with the likelihood that many of those workers or family members would fall ill during the initial phase.
A couple of years ago I attended a meeting featuring a number of security, crisis management folks working in health/research.  They all had 3 months supply of food and water in storage.  All.  All of them!  I was shocked. (I have 5 cans of tuna in my pantry, and that's about it).
Once I had examined the current evidence on pandemic flu, I did only one thing in response (and it wasn't anything on Lynnet's list) - I bought more life insurance.
I kid you not.
gale