From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:59:22 -0700
I agree with several posters that we often find fault only with those
reports that disagree with our beliefs. I don't look, with the same
skeptical eye, at studies that support my biases. When I encounter a report
that asserts something contrary to my understanding, I look at it very
carefully and often find important flaws. This, in my opinion, is a very
valuable dimension of discussion groups and, in a larger sense, scientific
conferences. Disparity of views is not a problem. Freedom to express
perspectives is not a problem. Unfortunately, we mortals often "gang up on"
others whose ideas are not congruent with our own. Taubes' book is a
wonderful read. It squares with the perspective of most people on this list.
However, it is viewed with disdain in other venues. I have seen it called
"junk science" and have seen Taubes called "not a real scientist" among
other put-downs. The fact remains that I agree with what he has to say, and
I like his ability to present his perspective as a competing theory. From my
bias, it is "true" while the low fat paradigm is "false". It saddens and
frustrates me that our governments produce, at taxpayers' expense, eating
guides and other such propaganda that touts one theory as some ultimate
"truth". I believe that their propaganda is causing untold suffering and
multitudes of premature deaths.
Who is running this insane asylum anyway?
Best Wishes,
Ron