From:
don bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
don bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 20:54:19 -0800
Hi,

Yes, you'll be able to get the nls books on cartriges in 2008 when
they go live with the digital program.

And, you will be able to download books from the nls digital
download site provided you have a player capable of playing them as
they are copy protected.  Currently, the only player approved by nls
for playing their books is the Victor Reader Stream player from
humanware.

They have had a pilot program with approximately 100 participants
for at least a year.  These people were provided with special
players by nls to help test book quality and other things.  When the
Victor Reader Stream came out in September, nls opened their pilot
program to others who purchase the Victor Reader Stream.  I'm sure
they will approve other players in the months to come such as the
new book port due out sometime.

To be eligible for the program, you have to be registered with one
of the nls libraries and fill out an application.  Obviously, if you
don't have the proper player it does you no good really.

You fill out an application with nls and submit it online.  They
check to be sure you're eligible and signed up somewhere for nls
services and if so, they approve you and issue you a password to the
site.  In the application you need to let them know what digital
player you have.  As I say, there's only one at the moment but I'm
sure that will change.

If you want more info, go to the site at:
https://www.nlstalkingbooks.org/dtb/

and take a look.

Hope this answers your questions.  I have the stream and am in the
pilot program.  It's really wonderful and the audio quality is
excellent.

Don