From:
Pat McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:22:50 -0400

Hi Everyone

Recently I went on a sleepover at the San Diego Wild Animal Park in Southern
California. It's a great place to visit and the sleepover is a wonderful
experience for anyone, but especially for kids (age 8 and up accompanied by
an adult). I was able to download the menu from their web site and after two
e-mail attempts, was able to talk to the excutive chef - Casey. I  just wanted
to know which of the menu items I could safely eat and asked about only
those that I thought might be GF. She could not have been more friendly and
willing to answer my questions. She even called back since when she checked
on one item, she wasn't sure if one of the ingredients would be a problem. The
serving staff was also alerted to my needs and went out of their way to show
me what was GF and showed good awareness of cross contamination issues.

I should add that I consider being GF my problem, not theirs. I explain I can
bring supplemental food, ie my own cookies for the campfire activities, but
don't want to not try new foods that might indeed be GF. I also don't even
ask, in this instance, that they provide GF pancakes for me, but rather just
eat those things that are already GF, in this case the eggs and sausage. I
also carry nutrition bars with me so I always have something I can fall back
on. In ten plus years I've only had one bad experience with this approach.

Speaking of GF pancakes, here in So. Calif. Trader Joe's has GF pancakes that
are really good. They are in the same frozen food case with the waffles etc.

Pat