C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:34:22 -0500
Hey guys, I'm looking to find stats (preferably in the US) that show the
number of violent crimes committed against folks with disabilities.
Violent crime would include rape, murder, assault, aggravated assault,
domestic abuse, etc.  It would NOT include hate crimes that do not
involve physical violence.  I'm also looking to see if those stats can
be broken down into two groups: those whose disabilities would preclude
them from being able to defend themselves and those who might be able to
ward off their attackers by defensive mechanisms like pepper spray, stun
guns, martial arts (yep, there are courses for hemi's in chairs), etc.

If you have any ideas for sources, that would be great.  Government
records could be pulled through an FOIA (Freedom of Information Act)
request.

I'm trying to see if there is some sort of correlation between
disability and assault-are folks more likely to be assaulted because
they are disabled?  I'm not looking at crimes committed within care
facilities by healthcare staff-that's a whole 'nother area.

If the stats are there to justify the cost, there might be an
opportunity to get an Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) grant for
self-defense classes for the disabled.

Thanks.

Kyle