Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:29:45 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Some interesting info on this new world drug.
>

> Raw Cacao: A Veritable Cocktail of Opiates and Stimulants

Excellent.

> Chocolate seems to be the latest fad food in the raw food world these days, and it's not surprising, considering its complex and addictive chemical makeup.

Lots of good studies have come out on it's health benefits.  Good stuff.

> It is a dire mistake to promote or consume raw cacao with the expectation that it is in any way a healthy or health supporting food. It is, however, a powerful stimulant, and when ingested will inspire a vast range of physiological responses in the body, as the human organism attempts to neutralize, process, and eliminate these poisons.

Strongly disagree to any claims that natural cocoa is in any way
unhealthy.  Panamanian native Indians drink upwards of 5 glass a day of
the natural brew with extensive health benefits.

> The authors of the raw food literature on cacao openly extol the effects of these stimulants, and are not trying to hide the fact that they exist.... they promote the food BECAUSE of the stimulants, not in spite of them. As long as you are aware of this, you will have the information necessary to decide whether or not to include this food as part of your diet.

The Cardiovascular benefits coming out of recent studies are compelling
enough.

> If you prefer to derive your energy from healthy foods, rest, sunshine, and fresh air, then cacao is most decidedly not for you.

Cocoa is a healthy food that works well for me.

> If, on the other hand, you enjoy the "quick fix" nature of caffeine and theobromine, and enjoy the rush of energy obtained as your body vigorously attempts to eliminate what it perceives as a poison, then cacao may be a drug/food that you enjoy using.

Cocoa lowers my blood pressure - does that mean it's trying to kill me?
<BIG GRIN>

The rest of the article seems to also be full of deliberate deceptions,
lies, and scare tactics, so lets delete it.

I use raw natural organic cocoa from free trade certified organizations
(no child labor, etc).  It works very well for me.  I also sweeten it
with stevia which some might find unpaleo as well.

Steve