From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:29:02 +0100
On 12 Jun 2008, at 03:20, Gale wrote:

> A vegan couple in Virginia were incarerated for failing to give
> their baby proper nutrition.  Apparently she couldn't generate milk
> and they refused to use anything that was an animal product.  They
> gave the baby apple juice and soy milk and it died (diarrhea and
> malnutrition).

That's really tragic.  You'd think they'd try and find a surrogate
breast feeder before they gave a baby soy milk.

Do people not realise that soy "milk" is about as much in common with
milk as

> If you found a homeless kitten, would you be smart enough to
> recognize it as a mammal?

I've heard of people feeding pets a vegetarian diet.  In fact I once
shared a house with a couple that looked after a dog - neither of them
were vegetarian but the girl insisted that dry cereal food was all a
dog needed.  The look of excitement it gave me every time I offered a
bit of sausage suggests otherwise...

> Same thing with this family in Wisconsin who prayed over their dying
> daughter instead of taking her to a doctor - same thing in my mind.
> Belief triumphing over science.

Hmmm, this is a different situation.  Praying probably has a better
prognosis than going to the doctor, on average.  Although it depends
exactly what was wrong, there are some things that doctors improve
more than they make worse.

Ashley