From:
Anne Luther <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Luther <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:21:51 -0500

No, this is not about melamine.

A few months ago my husband and I noted that our 10 year old Cairn Terrier,
KC, was getting slower. We were not too concerned until she started showing
weakness in one hind leg. Then it was both hind legs. Then she could barely
get up from a sit. Then she could barely walk 10 feet. She was unable to get
over the smallest curb. We had to carry her up steps. She was unable to use
her back legs to scratch. Her front legs started to get weak. Her tickle
spot on her tummy disappeared. You know the one where if it gets scratched,
the hind leg pumps. She could not lie down in her favorite position with her
hind legs stretched out. She stopped barking - that is very serious symptom
in a terrier.

We took her to two vets. One said arthritis...but she was not in pain. The
other said ACL problems...again, she was not in pain. My husband and I were
talking about euthenisia for her.

My husband decided to spend a week at the lake house. I had to work that
week. I said I would keep KC at home with the plan of putting her on a GF
diet. By the third day I had my answer. Three days off gluten and she was
showing improvement. By the time my husband got home, he was amazed by the
improvements.

She has now been GF for 2 months. Her legs are stronger. She is able to run
up hills and chase the squirrels. She wants to play again. She can run up
steps. In fact 2 days ago she was able to jump up on the couch. She can
stretch out when lying down. Oh yes, she can bark again. She is not back to
100% yet but she is so much better.

It is also interesting that for years she choked whenever she drank water.
No vet could tell us why. Funny thing, she is not choking anymore. Choking
on water and esophageal spasm was a symptom I had. Another symptoms that has
disappeared is urination when asleep. We were told this is "normal" for
spayed female dogs. Maybe it is not so "normal" afterall.

My husband and I have enjoyed watching her regain her health.

When she was so ill her liver enzymes were elevated. I have not had them
rechecked but will do that soon. I bet they are better.

Now you may ask why she was not GF already. I have been GF for 4 years. I
could not convince my husband that gluten could hurt the dog too. I think he
is conivnced now. We feed her a lamb and rice formula and make little
hamburgers for treats(only one a day).

Hope this story saves another pet.

Anne from AR