From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:40:34 -0400

You're gonna love this one.

Earlier today, I got into a conversation with my waitress at a Lonestar Steakhouse in Dover, MD (also a nursing student.) She was terrific. (I'll write to headquarters later.)

That's not the news. She told me that a friend of hers has two young sons who are gluten-intolerant. She wasn't sure if it was celiac or not, but she said that the doctor is having the mother give the child small amounts of gluten on purpose....to desensitize him. I got the impression we're talking about a toddler. Doc said it was too late to do that with the older son.

Oy vey.

My first reaction was...this doctor is crazy. The only thing I can think of is that if it's truly a wheat allergy, then treating it as such, like giving allergy shots, could very well be a legitimate treatment. But if that's the case, it shouldn't be "too late" for the older kid.

I'm putting this out there for your food for thought...and comments, if you're in the medical field or have experience with this. I still think the doctor is nuts.

The waitress, of course, is between a rock and a hard place. She may or may not feel comfortable giving my (arrogant as it may be) input to the mother. But I gave her one of my Living Without restaurant cards...so at least she (the waitress & future nurse) could be informed.

Lin

*******
*******