VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:20:31 -0700
Actually, they are experimenting with that exact thing both
nationally, and at the local level.  I just last week
received a book from NLS which I was surprised to find was
an unabridged commercial audio production.  The NLS had only
repackaged it to fit the four track cassettes and put on
their usual announcements.  Our local NLS branch, and some
others that I know, are also trying out arrangements with
the public libraries to see if NLS patrons can use the new
public library down-loadable books.  So, it is coming.
There are two problems though which do interfere with their
collaborating.

At the national level, the policy is that books should be
unabridged so that blind patrons get the exact same book the
sighted public reads.  However, many commercial audio books
are abridged.  Sometimes the shortening is done well, some
times though, it is obviously a hatchet job.  NLS does not
use these, and I applaud their judgment on this.

At the local level, one problem which has cropped up is
public library software which is complicated at the least,
or downright inaccessible at the worst.  The libraries here
are using a plug-in for Windows Media which one must use to
download the books.  This plug in takes care of copyright
monitoring and other things.  The version I beta tested for
our local library was really difficult to use.  The
copyright protection scheme is also irritating.  If you
check out a book you have exactly three weeks to the second.
If you do not finish the book, or renew the book, it becomes
disabled.  I would prefer something like late fees instead
like video stores or the conventional libraries use.

Things are converging, but there will be a long period of
experiment trial and error before it is truly transparent.
Maybe someday, NLS books will be available to the general
public on loan also.

Bill