From:
Andrea & Bill Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 21:18:09 -0500
Greetings all;

    While there is some risk when using refill kits or cartridges refilled
by one of the various companies, some of which will refill your cartridges
while you wait, the risk can be negated to a certain extent by using only
cartridges that have the print heads within them. HP, for example, have the
print heads in the cartridges of many, if not all, of their consumer
printers. Epson on the other hand, has models in which the print head is an
integral part of the printer itself. If you somehow damage or clog the print
head the printer is probably beyond economical repair. Another issue is that
print heads can clog with dried ink if not used for a significant length of
time. This is a much larger issue for printers with integral print heads.
Past list members have posted instructions on how to unclog print heads
which I have used with varying success.

    I have never personally known anyone to have damaged their printer using
refill kits, but I have heard some stories of poor printing, messy refill
attempts and only being able to refill a cartridge a few times. This is
definitely one of those YMMV (your mileage may vary) issues depending on
printer make and model.

Bill