Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:11:07 -0500

Hi folks,

I've noticed there are several newbies to the gluten free diet on the list.
This is a wonderful, diverse recipe which can be made quickly and with
things you probably have or can keep on hand.

Serves 4-6

One and one half to two pounds of any sirloin, or roast beef sliced thin.
Season the steak with salt and pepper and grill, broil or pan fry to your
liking.  Slice thinly.  This works well with leftover roast beef, or even
Boars head plain roast beef which the deli counter can slice for you to your
thickness and how many pieces.

Gather the following ingredients for the sauce:

One half cup of flat-leaf, Italian parsley

One half cup of fresh basil leaves

Two whole cloves or garlic, or more if you like (I do)

Two tablespoons of capers, drained

One anchovy fillet, cut in pieces

Two tablespoons of fresh lime juice or fresh lemon juice if you're out

One cup of olive oil

Sea salt to your taste

Freshly ground pepper to taste

Five cups of any kind of fresh greens you will find in grocery - I like to
use spinach, or baby field greens

In either a food processor or if you don't have one use a regular blender,
puree or grind up relatively fine the:

Parsley, basil, garlic, capers, anchovy fillet.  Scrape down the sides.
Slowly add extra virgin cold pressed olive oil, pulsing, until completely
combined.  Add lime juice and pepper.  Process until blended and sauce is
smooth.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.  The anchovy will
contribute a salty taste so additional salt may not be needed.  Set sauce
aside.

Now take your meat of choice (you can even use left over meat loaf made with
GF bread chunks or crumble more if you like), for left overs heat up the
meat in the microwave perhaps or cut up your steak now.  Arrange the beef
(or chicken or fish or pork etc) over the bed of fresh spinach or salad
greens.

Slowly drizzle the salsa verde over the thinly sliced beef.

One can serve this with white rice which is easy on the tummy for most, or
to make it even healthier use brown rice.

This is a very nutritious and delicious meal.  You are consuming a wide
variety of fresh, uncooked greens in their natural form, which is a major
bonus to your nutritional status.  The salsa verde has only 14g of good fat,
with only 2g saturated fat.  There is no sugar, no cholesterol, and a low
60mg of sodium per serving.  The meat is another matter, but I crave my
protein and have no energy without it.

I copied the recipe from whole foods website, but I have made this before
and served the salsa verde (meaning green sauce) over many things.  You may
also know this sauce as pesto, just about the same thing.

Enjoy! Warm celiac regards, Dorina, near Galveston, TX