Date:
Mon, 28 May 2007 09:46:20 -0500

The darker, but clear, chicken or beef broths are all OK if they are gluten
free.  The trick here is that they are "clear".  The dark, natural color of
clear beef broths are fine.  My post on clear liquid diet and comment on no
darker than orange color only was referring to the dyes in mixed drinks, not
the natural color of broths.  The dyes could stain the bowel temporarily and
this is why they don't want you to drink red liquids.  A temporary red stain
would make seeing surface inflammation a little more difficult.  No matter
what they see on the surface, they should be taking several biopsies to rule
out microscopic colitis, etc.  ask for them to take pictures, whether
surface tissue appears normal or not.  The structure of the natural folds of
the intestines are indicative of various conditions too.

Cooked Fish or Vegetable broth is appropriate too as long as it is clear,
meaning no chunks or even tiny pieces of anything, or if you have your own,
just use a fine mesh to strain out the veges and particles, then this would
be acceptable, as long as the soup had no milk or egg in it originally.

Don't be afraid to ask to be put to sleep, meaning, you don't want to feel
anything.  They have to respect that.  They can generally use fentanyl i.v.
these days and a little versed i.v. usually.  Fentanyl is a synthetic
narcotic, superior to Demerol if you can tolerate it.  Don't argue with the
doc if he deems you need something else unless you know you're allergic to
it.  Versed is a very old drug, actually used to be used during childbirth
50-60 yrs ago or more, I believe that was the original purpose of the drug.
It creates a dream state, and helps eliminate memory.

If you are one of those people who want to see the scope scene, a lighter
dose of these drugs can be given, and you might wake up at the end of the
procedure.  It happened to me a couple of times, and I was still somewhat
comfortable, found it VERY interesting, then asked for more medication at
the end, which they gave me.  You will pleasantly wake up in a semi private
recovery room with the curtain drawn, hooked up to a heart monitor and
generally automatic blood pressure cuff, standard procedure.  Maybe even a
little O2 for us older folks.  They will sit you up slowly, don't want you
to make any sudden moves, or get off the bed.  You will still have the i.v.

Before the procedure you will be sat down with a nurse to give your entire
medical history.  You should bring your own summary and give it to her/him,
it will make it easier.  Shower in the morning before the procedure and wear
freshly laundered clothing and clean shoes.  You want to be as free of germs
as you are entering areas where sterility is primary concern. Wear clean
white socks, they will let you leave them on.  I bring a fresh pair when I
change into a gown.  If you're cold, ask for that warming blanket. Leave
your jewelry and valuables at home.  For us women who are more sentimental
about our wedding ring, they "might" let you leave your wedding ring on if
you tend to insist, they can put tape all around it.  I leave it at home
now, it was more of a security crutch when I was younger.

In the rare or occasional instance that you have mild side effect of
nausea/vomiting post op, they may want to let them give you something via
I.V. that was gluten free for me, the name escapes me now, and it worked
within 5 min. like a charm.  Again, be sure you review EVERYTHING you are
allergic to medical personnel.

Along with that pillow and blanket in the car bring a small pail with
plastic lining in case you need to spit up.  I have had many procedures of
all kinds over the years, and it happened just a couple of times.  It was
nice I was prepared.  Under no circumstances will they allow you to leave
the facility without a companion, or solid arrangements for a taxi.  If you
have a comfortable car where you can lay down in the back seat that would be
an option for you.

They should advise you to eat a light diet when you get home, definitely NO
red meat, NO sushi, preferably nothing raw either, even veges.  Don't forget
they took biopsies, so your tissue needs a little time to heal.  Go easy on
your gut for the next 48 hrs.  Generally you should receive a call from a
nurse after a day or two asking if everything is O.K.  be prepared to report
any unusual symptoms you might be having.  They'll want to know if you've
moved your bowels particularly (to be sure everything is functioning
correctly), or if you've noted any blood in the stools. Call your doctor if
you are in doubt about ANYTHING.  That is what they are there for and what
you pay them for.

With all this knowledge, you should have a very positive experience, and
you'll have one more thing you've checked off on your list for pro-active
preventive health measures.  OH, and DON'T FORGET to ask for YOUR COPY for
your medical records - the medical system is wanting to become "paperless",
and we all must be our own patient advocate in regard to our personal
medical records now, like it or not.  Warm celiac regards, Dorina Sistemi
Dinges, R.N.