From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 08:12:34 -0800
On 9 Mar 2007 at 0:13, Michael A. Wosnick wrote:

> So my questions are: is there inherently any difference in signal strength
> or range if using a newer 801.11g router instead of the current 802.11b? I
> think both protocols operate on the same frequency do they not? Is it a
> question instead of the antenna strength? If so, are there substantial
> differences in the "power" of one brand over another, or do I need to look
> carefully at specs? What would be considered to be a good strength vs. an
> average strength if I was able to discriminate?

  802.11b and 802.11g both operate in the same band, where FCC rules limit
the maximum broadcast power.  802.11g includes some higher speed
capabilities for short-range clear connections, but at greater distances it
falls back to the same speeds as 802.11b.
  There are, however, two things you can try which may help, and can be done
with b or g:

1.  It's not that they work at the same frequency, but on the same set of
channels (11 of them in North America).  You probably never set the channel
but just left it at the default setting, right?  Well, your neighbors have
probably done the same thing!  So you may get back to something like the old
performance by changing the router to a non-default channel.  (You could
download NetStumbler to your daughter's PC and run it to see what other
wireless networks are in range, and what channels they're on.
  Note that for full-speed operation, both b and g will spread out to two
additional channels on either side.  So if there are no other nearby
networks, it's common to put them on channels 1, 6, and 11 to avoid
interference that would limit speed.  You might not get that lucky, but if
you find neighbors on channels 3 and 6, putting yours on 4 or 5 will not do
as well as 11....

2.  Although the FCC limits the maximum power output, it doesn't require you
to spread that uniformly in all directions.  Your SMC -- or your new router -
- may allow you to adjust the orientation of the antenna or replace it with
one that is more "directional".  Effectively this lets you take power that
would have gone into the floor or out toward the street and redirect it up
to your daughter's place.

  It's *possible* that you might benefit from going to 802.11n/MIMO, but the
standard isn't finalized yet, and it's unlikely that your Internet
connection would allow you to do much with the additional speed.

> My second set of questions relate to the wireless adapter in her computer.
> If I went 802.11g for the router, I would replace her adapter as well to
> take advantage of the higher throughput. Is it important to get an adapter
> of the same brand as the router? I have never worried about that before, but
> maybe there is better compatibility if one sticks to the same product
> family? If not, how much better, if at all, are PC card-based adapters (with
> their own mini-antenna) vs. a USB adapter that plugs straight into a USB
> port. The latter is of course much simpler to use, but I wonder if I will be
> giving up signal strength again given the absence of any external antenna.
> Or again is this a matter of brand and specs rather than one of inherent
> design per se? What are some of the better USB adapters?

  The "Wi-Fi" logo is supposed to guarantee interoperability, so same brand
shouldn't make much difference.  Your new 802.11g router should also work
with the existing 802.11b adapter (at 802.11b speeds) UNLESS you configure
it to only work with 802.11g clients.  (That latter setting lets it use
higher speeds for control traffic which an 802.11b device won't be able to
follow.  Manufacturers disagree about how much difference this really
makes.)

  So far as I can see, many manufacturers use the same chipsets on their
PCI, PCMCIA, and USB wireless adpaters.  PCI adapters are most likely to
accept a replacement antenna (see above...), but I've actually gotten even
better results with a USB adapter on the end of a USB extension cable so you
can move it around and re-orient it without moving the whole machine.

  As to brands, I've always had good results with NetGear; D-Link and
LinkSys are pretty comparable.  I've been unhappy with AirLink 101's
quality, and I've heard negative reviews of Buffalo although I have a
colleague who swears by them.  I've also had good results so far with
Hawking, but their product line doesn't seem to be as fully populated as the
others.  I haven't used SMC lately, but I do have a friend who likes their
gear.  (I've been doing a lot of stuff professionally with Cisco and Aruba
gear, but those would be overkill and really too expensive for home use.)

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com