From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:21:33 -0800
  I recall that this was an issue when USB keyboards first appeared -- the
USB posrts were fully supported by OS drivers, but not by the motherboard
BIOS.  Mostherboard makers were fairly quick to add USB support to address
the issue.

  But -- perhaps for compatibility purposes -- at least some allowed this
support to be switched on or off in the CMOS settings.  It sounds like yours
is switched off.  Can you get into these settings and change it?

David Gillett