From:
michael raiti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:52:59 -0800
I see now what you were getting at.  I avoid most
greens now because of stomach irritation.  Even when I
was eating lots of vegetables I had trouble with
losing too much weight.  I am what I consider
underweight.  More than that though I find that I look
forward less to exercise and don't seem to recover as
well.  I think the issue in part for me is that
%protein gets too high.  That is why in a post a few
days back (discussing Jim's experiment an Phinney's
work) in mentioned butter.  I am still feel that I
need to be cautious with the butter and am trying
marrow and lightly cooked or raw meats which seem to
keep fats in a more digestible state (less stomach
problems from them)

I am not sure about the bio-availability of calcium in
the greens.  Most of them are pretty high in oxalate.
I am not sure how much of the calcium is bound up by
the oxalate, though.

Mike

From: JK Gatto
I was assuming the problem stems from entering ketosis
and I counter this with plenty of greens, ie, mustard,
chollard, kale, chard, etc.  I think it's the bio-
availability of the calcium in the greens which acts
as a calmer for me.  I personally feel great in
ketosis.  It's that fourth and fifth day upon entering
it that I bone up on the greens.  Seems to help.  By
the 8th day I'm good to go.  YMMV.  Oliva

Keep on keepin' on !