From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:21:51 -0400
Hi William:

> 3 times as much for about $7.xx (IIRC) at Rainbow foods at Britannia mall
> on Carling. Trade name is Camino Cocoa. Organic.

That's actually where I bought the Wholly brand cacao
(http://www.therawchoice.com) , I think it was last fall. Next time I am in
there I will look at the cacao. Regarding the Camino brand - are you talking
about cocoa powder or cacao (I have the raw cacao which is not powder but
crunchy little brown pieces)? They are quite bitter and have an almost an
alcohol sort of after taste. The package says it is a great source of
Maagnesium, Iron, Folic acid, Zinc, Copper, Vitamin E and Serotonin. It also
says that Wholly cacao is oe of the highest sources of antioxidants in the
world. They all say that..... :-) On a website somewhere I saw that prunes
one of the highest ORAC (or whatever the acronym is) antioxidant rating
among fruits....

> Maybe there's more to it- this from the blurb on the package of
> Navitasnaturals cacao powder I got today, same store:
> "Cacao contains a rich supply of vitamins and minerals that enhance
> physical and mental well being. These nutrients include beta-carotene,
> zinc and an inncredibly rich suppy of magnesium. The beans also contain
> more antioxidant flavonoids than blueberries, red wine and green tea."

By the way, if you are into green tea at all, Nectar's on the South side of
Wellington west of Holland Avenue, has the best Matcha green tea that I have
seen (not that I have seen much to tell you the truth as it is hard to find)
. If you want antioxidants then get Matcha which is one of the best
sources - since you consume the entire portion of tea (it is powdered tea
from the leaf tips). Since you drink everything (it is not in a bag or an
infuser) you consume it all. It's quite expensive though at around ~$12.00
for a 100 grams BUT you only need a quarter of a teaspoon per cup of tea.
That's the cheaper grade. The more expensive Matcha is $45.00 per 30 gram
canister. But the better grades have higher antioxidant concentrations.

> I have no urge to eat honey or butter, but when combined with cocoa powder
> and boiling water it's wonderful.

Oof, that must be a strong-tasting drink!

Marilyn