Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 00:31:58 -0600
Somehow I didn't get this post, from Ryan? I guess?

Sorry Ryan, raw meat is a regular part of the diet in many cultures. I
happen to love steal tartar, and have often eaten raw steak. It is pretty
good.

> > My bet is that the writer, or whoever else was inclined to follow this
> > experiment, would get incredibly sick.  Tom, I think if you are so sure
> > about this, give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Why should I get sick? Parasites? Bacteria? But you can get those just as
easily from organic foods, veggies raised using manure to enrich the soil.
Pretty common occurance, if you follow the news.

> > The fact of the matter is that we do not have a high enough
> > concentration of hydrocloric acid in our stomachs to distinguish us as
> > carnivores.

We have an intermediate level of HCL, less than true carnivores, more than
full herbivores, which usually don't have much HCL at all, or none. The fact
that we have any, and that we have enzymes specifically for digesting meat,
ligaments, tendons etc, strongly suggests a long long period of meat eating.

> > 0ur digestive tract is many times longer than the typical carnivore's gi
> > tract.

But shorter and much simpler than any herbivore. Again, we are intermediate.
Omnivores.

   As the original poster mentioned, we do not have the typical
> > teeth of a carnivore.  You mention chimpanzees in your post, however,
> > looking at their teeth vs. ours, their canine teeth are MUCH longer than
> > ours.

Chimps canines are used for threat displays, maybe for fighting. Not for
chewing or cutting meat. No animal that I know of uses canines for chewing
or cutting meat, but for fighting and killing. We fight and kill with our
hands/weapons. And lost our now unneeded canines, which impede chewing
motions. Lacking canines allows us to chew in a wider variety of motions and
makes us more efficient chewers with smaller and weaker teeth.

> > All you have to do is look at the high rate of colon and other lower gi
> > cancers and it's plain that a diet very high in meats is detrimental to
> > our health.

Funny that meat eaters outlive vegans, on the average. And do no herbivorous
animals ever get cancer? You would think the answer was 'no', from this
post. Again, follow the daily news, and you can hear of famous vegans who
get cancer, from Linda McCartny to Steve Jobs. Must be freak accidents then,
I suppose.

If someone could forward me Ryan's entire post, I would appreciate it.