From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2006 03:47:24 -0700
All I can say is, I couldn't agree more.
Its a hot topic for many reasons, some valid, some not so valid.
However, i do think that the thought that its easier to get ones license
these days is probably missing the mark by quite a bit.
Consider the general publics knoledge, or at least, familiarity with
technical or at least, consumer grade electronics.
50 years ago, teenagers had probably a tiny percentage of the general
knoledge todays kids have about electronics and technical matters.
Yes, its true most of the population can't program a VCR, but give them a
PDA, sell phone, remote control, andMP3 player, and they'll work it in 2
seconds.
My point is, that with a wider general knoledge around technology today, the
test isn't so much easier, but definitely more congruent with todays high
level of technical know how.
30 or 50 years ago, the idea of technology was still somewhat removed and it
certainly was harder to wrap ones head around certain theories and ideas,
thus the perception that things were harder.

I think the folks who think ham licenses come in a cracker jack box to any
moron who wants one these days are forgetting how hard they worked at their
license.  Most people work just as hard today to get that tech license and
its arrogant to think they have an easier time of it simply because the
older hams now know all the answers, or at least most of them from
experience and decades of learning.
Remember, several decades of experience will give one a totally different
perspective on what is harder and easier when it comes to license exams.
73
Colin, CF6BKX