From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:17:37 -0700
If a gold line sounds like an MC80, then either the MC 80  has been heavily
modified inside, or the gold line is being well filtered and EQ'ed to sound
like the MC80.
The MC80 has an omni directional mike element in it, and that is why it
picks up so  much background noise.  It also emphasises mids heavily.  The
gold line, while retaining a slight peak at around 1K, is pretty much flat
across the spectrum.
It also doesn't contain a preamp to color the audio as with the MC80.
All that said, I still love the sound of an MC80, I just don't think its
fair to the heil gold line to compare them as being close.
73
Colin, V A6BKX