C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ehthiers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:12:58 -0400
"D" is for dynamic, moving instead of the Frankenstein feet of past
orthotics.  Dorsal rhizotomies can be controversial because the nerves grow
back and the spasticity comes back.  Kinesiotaping, is a nice easy tape on
the body to help facilitate movement.
Rifton equipment is awesome when used properly (that is work with someone
who isn't freaked out by CP movements and removes prompts.  Check out the
MOVE program)  Children need to move, move, move and with CP kids don't get
stuck on perfect movement, that just gets frustrating. They want to have fun
and should be.
Remember this one adage from someone who has been a therapist a long time,
repeat after me....more therapy does not equate with functional gains.  Your
children need more than being poked and prodded, they need fun, swimming,
horseback riding, bike riding (with you and on their own).  Children who
spend too much time with medical treatments and in therapy are whiny little
things that can't do for themselves.  Doing for yourself is messy, throw
them in sand, dirty, swings, let them wrestle with typically developing
kids.  All those fancy treatments have great immediate results but, long
term studies aren't there to show improvement.
 Do look for a doc who knows a lot about spasiticity mananagement beyond
cutting tendons.  There are many treatments out there with each having their
own pros and cons.

Yep, it's frustrating, we give diagnosis of CP only after all the tests are
done and motor milestones are completed.  There are lots of things that look
like CP so, your doctors are being a bit conservative.

And if you are wondering,

I'm Beth t the OT